Najeeb Karimi, Family Practice
CMC Cabarrus Family Medicine
5435 Prosperity Church Rd
#2200, Charlotte,NC, (704) 863-9830
Obesity can lead to serious diseases like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease, some cancers, gall bladder disease, arthritis, sleep apnea, stroke, depression. What should you do? First, figure out what your BMI (body mass index) is. Google it to calculate it. BMI is body weight in kg/height squared in meters. BMI below 18.5 is underweight, between 18.5-24.5 is normal, between 25 to 29.9 is overweight, and more than 30 is OBESE. Abdominal obesity can cause diabetes. If you are standing and can’t see your feet, then you better start losing weight.
10 tips for weight loss:
1. Find out how many calories you need daily. Visit http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php
2. Eat 5 servings of fruits/vegetables per day. Every time you eat, half the plate needs to be fruits/vegetables. Drink 1 glass of water before you start eating and in the middle. Eat slowly, take time chewing food, don’t swallow fast, have dinner with your entire family, if you eat with your finger, eat with thumb, index and middle finger. If you eat with a spoon, use a small spoon. Follow the hadith, which stated to eat 1/3 food, 1/3 water, leave 1/3 space for air. Don’t eat until you have no more space in your stomach.
3. Control your portion of food intake. Visit http:///www.choosemyplate.gove/
4. Don’t skip meals. Don’t leave the house without having a healthy breakfast. Add snacks in between meals; such as an apple or pear with almonds or walnuts.
5. Go for wholesome fresh foods. Avoid fast/processed foods. Cut carbohydrates in half (rice, bread, pasta, pizza, etc.). Eat large fish 3 times a week like salmon. Cut back red meat, replace with chicken, turkey, beans, nuts. Use olive oil or canola or peanut oil.
6. Don’t be overly restrictive. Cutting too much of your favorite treats often leads to relapse eating. Indulge on occasion, just keep it SMALL. Make a goal to lose 5 lb/month.
7. Choose a diet like Atkins, South Beach, DASH, Mediterranean (which is the best), etc., but be consistent.
8. STOP all sugary drinks. Stop junk food. Keep a food journal and evaluate daily what you did right/wrong. Make maintaining ideal weight your lifetime commitment.
9. You can’t lose weight without exercise. Brisk walking, elliptical, bicycling 1 to 2 miles a day. Join a gym and start lifting weights.
10. If you are morbidly obese, and can’t lose weight, consult your doctor for surgical options.